1. Unless you are an "easy eater", make sure you know what kinds of choices will be available. Make wait staff aware of special needs or preferences, within reason, of course.
2. Unless you have the opportunity to attend fine restaurants all the time, give the diet a little breather for the evening. Don't miss out.
3. Don't be intimidated. Be yourself. Don't let snooty staff get under your skin. You are the one paying.
4. Don't be afraid to ask questions. A good server will give you honest evaluations of your choices. They usually know best, either from tasting or other patron feedback.
5. They really do spit in your food, so don't be obnoxious!!! Some chefs are more easygoing than others, but a fine dining kitchen is a crazy place.